After a successful excavation in 2013, MAS are revisiting the site in Rookery Park, Marlow in an attempt to put a date on the earlier building that was revealed.
Marlow Archaeology will be reopening an excavation in Rookery Park, Marlow on Saturday and Sunday 27 & 28 July, as part of the National Festival of Archaeology.
The excavation will take place between about 10.30am and 3.30pm on each day.
Between 2011 and 2013, Marlow Archaeological Society (MAS) carried out excavations to investigate the remains of The Rookery, a Victorian villa in what is now the park. It was the location of a 18th Century farmhouse, which was replaced by the villa in about 1850. This was subsequently altered and extended, being demolished in the 1960’s and the area turned into a park. There was also a suspicion that there were also much earlier buildings, possibly a Chapel associated with the Knights Templar of the 13thC. Excavation revealed parts of the 1775 farmhouse and a cellar with chalk block walls. Evidence associated with the cellar walls indicated a construction date around 1670, but no records have been found of an earlier building on the site.
It seems unlikely that this was the site of a chapel, but the nature of the earlier building remains a mystery. Our excavation may shed light on the entrance to the cellar and provide further evidence of its origin.
It is important to investigate and record our historic heritage assets in order better to inform planning decisions and maintain the distinctive character of Marlow.
Everyone is very welcome to come and see what is revealed.