The County Museum buildings in Church Street, Aylesbury
BY JOHN CHENEVIX TRENCH and PAULINE FENLEY – Published in Records of Buckinghamshire volume 33 in 1991
SELECTED BY Peter Marsden who writes:
You wouldn’t recognise Ceely House, today part of the County Museum in Aylesbury as a medieval building from the reign of Edward IV. But dendrological analysis has dated its roof timbers to the year 1473 – and they are visible today to everyone who visits the museum. The house was built for the Fraternity of the Virgin Mary on a section of the parish churchyard.
This is but one part of the museum buildings, which also include Aylesbury’s original Grammar School and a garden where Saxon burials were found recently.
But this would not have surprised the authors of this article, whose work is based on archaeological investigations, historic records and a full survey of the buildings themselves.
This not only sets out in detail the history of buildings which have been at the heart of life in Aylesbury for more than 600 years It also adds a whole extra dimension to a visit to the museum – which plans to reopen at the end of October after the Covid-19 lockdown. Read this article first, then go visit.